Sunday, March 29, 2009

MC Lyte - Lyte As A Rock [The Samples]



The battle for the title of G.F.O.A.T. (Greatest Femcee Of All Time) has always been a toss-up amongst only a handful of worthy contenders. Roxanne Shanté, Queen Latifah, Ladybug Mecca, Jean Grae and Bahamadia, just to name a few, have all earned their stripes... But at the end of it all, it's always boiled down to a tug-of-war between Lauryn Hill and MC Lyte, as far as I see it. But c'mon, Lyte's been doing this sh*t since the golden era, and where's Ms. Hill at? This gem right here comes straight outta '88, featuring a minimal sample style based primarily on great drum breaks. One particular track which has (still) got me scratching my head is a Steve Martin comedy snippet apparently used on Lyte's "I Cra to Understand U". I don't hear it. If you can enlighten me, I'd be grateful. Anyways, this sample set is shorter than most... Nonetheless, I really wanted to put this one together because it's been my effort to complete as many Source 100 albums as possible. Dig in and... as always... turn it up!!