Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Tape Deck: Volume #5 (Reviews)

We're going by "Volume" now. And we've got quite a voluminous entry to the latest Tape Deck offering. 34 tracks in total! Enjoy:

RE: Blogger been fuggin' up. Here's the re-up (power2thepeople):

50 Cent - 50 for President
In the outro to this track, 50 claims that he's going back to the GRODT days, "like it's '03". That's cool, I guess... But what does it say about all his work since then? Hmmm... Is it a confession that it's all been wick-wick-WACK!? Seems like it. How does 50 respond? By taking advantage of the election hype with a stale track like this. I see your little game 50. Let's just see if your album can speak for itself... Pretty lame track for a promo... The soul sample redeems it. Somewhat...
Alfamega - Uh Huh (Remix feat. T.I., Rick Ross & Bun B)
A conglomeration of all things "South", this track's beat is a snoozer. At this point, Ricky Rawls is irrelevant and Alfamega sounds like he could be his old senile grandfather (have you heard this guy rap?). Bun Beata and Tee Eye Pee are sub-par. This coulda been a Southern anthem. Coulda...
Black Milk - The Matrix (feat. DJ Premier, Pharoahe Monch & Sean Price)
...now this is what I'm talkin' about! It's not enough that Black Milk recruited some of the grimiest East coast heavyweights available, but he threw in Premo into the mix to get the vinyl cracking. Milk's traditional style feels upgraded on this track, with lush soundscapes to accompany his always-heavy drum samples. This album is shaping up to be a killer.
Crooked I - Wake Up Show Freestyle
West coast emcees on the hustle have always had the Wake Up Show on their side (as long as they can "catch wreck"). Crooked I pays 'em a visit and drops a hot verse off the top. Solid!
D.I.T.C. - Hard Hit (feat. D Flow, OC, AG, & Boss Money)
New album on the way!!!! Next to Wu-Tang and only a handful of others, D.I.T.C. has always been one of New Yiddy's most esteemed collectives. If this track doesn't pique your interest, then fall the F back! I wonder if they'll have some unreleased Big L vocals on the way... THAT would be great! **crosses fingers**
David Banner - When You Hear What I Got To Say
Why wasn't this track on his album? Couldn't have been the sample (it's a popular one... you betta know it!). The beat is on point -- it knocks like thunder and lightning -- and the lyrics are poignant. The shot at Tavis Smiley -- whom I'm a great fan of -- puts the cherry on the cake. This track should get people talking.
DJ Babu - My Opinion (feat. Bishop Lamont)
First thing I notice about this track is that I've got half of these beat's sounds on kit for Fruity Loops. I'll leave that aside though... Bishop kicks some nostalgic bars over Babu's kicks and pops. Not bad. Nothing special though.
DJ I-Dee - Explosion (feat. Royce Da 5'9", Tamu & C-Rayz Walz)
Great lineup. Horrible track. I can't even call this sh*t hip hop. It sounds like a fusion of...everything (and not in a good way). I've got a feeling that house fans will really like this. I ain't feelin' though. At all!
E-40 - The Recipe (feat. Gucci Mane & Bun B)
Crack to basics! Chef Boyar-E cooks up some crack with his fellow hustlers from the Dirty Dirty. I've never liked Gucci Mane, and I probably never will (he constantly sounds like he needs some Claritin), but Bun B and E-40 come correct. I'm gettin' tired of this crack-rap though...
Freeway - Bread & Butter
Is Free making tracks with the same names of Beanie Sigel songs on purpose? Who knows. I can't say that I like this "Bread & Butter" more than Mack's (featuring Sadat X and Grand Pub' of Brand Nub'), but it's definitely got it's pros. I hope we don't have to wait another three of four years for another album from Freeza'.
Freeway - How I Feel
More Freeza'! He tosses some funk and rock into this passionate heat rock as he threatens 'finger-snapping gangsters' and record execs. Free never lets up on this joint. Freedom of Speech coming soon. Be prepared!
Grafh - Like Ohh (Remix feat. Jim Jones, Jadakiss, Bun B & Prinz)
I won't lie: I'm only peeping this one for the Jada track. Thumbs up! Average track overall though. One thing I noticed about this track: there's a sound effect that owners of the Kanye West sample kit will recognize. I'm just sayin'...
Grafh - Reservoir Dogs Freestyle
How crazy is this: Jay-Z's Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (which contains "Resevoir Dogs") was released in late September '98 -- approximately 10 years after Grafh decided to rock the beat. Pretty neat coincidence, huh? Solid freestyle, although it isn't really a "freestyle" now is it...?
J The S - Another Round Street (feat. B.O.B.)
Filler.
Joe Budden - Green Lantern Freestyle 1 & 2
Whenever Joey steps in the booth with the Evil Genius, it's always an event. This one's not quite as monumental -- perhaps because of the lo-q of this radio rip -- but I'm a sucker for any references to Cloverfield. Heh...
Joell Ortiz - Can't You Tell
Another track, another Jay-Z line used for a hook. What, is this '04? I ain't hatin'... Joell spits solid as usual. A steady drum beat, a melodic rhythm and some reflective lyrics -- this is hip hop.
Kanye West - Homecoming (DiscoTech Remix)
I can appreciate an off-the-wall techno/mash-up approach to a hip hop track every once in a while. This one comes off pretty well. I'd tear my hair out if I had to listen to an hour's worth of this kinda stuff, but small doses are fun. This DiscoTech Remix is one of those...
Kanye West & AC - Love Lockdown (Remix)
Over a reworked version of West's Lockdown, Blog-Attacker AC and Astronote for Mental Instruments give Yeezy's some pointers. If Kanye's original sounded more like this, I wouldn't be giving him such a hard time. Still though, I wanna hear Kanye start ripping the mic again.
M.O.P. - Monster
Run for your lives! It's the Mash Out Posse in monster form! Kinda repetitive, but I can never get tired of BK's hardcore/finest.
Macy Gray - Still Hurts (feat. Marsha Abrosius)
I'm a fan of Macy Gray (I've got all her albums -- except her last one). Maybe that's the problem; her new direction ain't quite my fit. She needs to get back to that late-'90's playbook that went so well for her.
Madlib - What It Do (feat. Talib Kweli)
Liberation! This one's off that new WLIB AM album. I fear that Madlib is losing his ingenuity sometimes... This one doesn't leave me fully satisfied, but I've still got hope...
Mos Def - Auditorium
A live performance of "Auditorium" (produced by Madlib), the album version is scheduled to include Slick Rick. I'm listening!
New Kids on the Block - Summertime (Remix feat. Jadakiss)
(Just the Jada verse) It seems like Kiss will hop on anything these days just to hype his new album. I can't say that I blame him. ...but NKOTB? C'mon Jada... Skip to 2:40 to keep your ears from turning inside out.
Q-Tip - I Believe (feat. D'Angelo)
This one's made some major noise on the blogs! I felt like waiting for Tip's album to come out before checking it out, but being that I've started this new Tape Deck feature, it's my duty to listen to everything. It's not ATCQ-like at all (boo!), but it's still pretty smooth.
Rock City - Ride for Obama
I thought I'd off myself if I heard another M.I.A.-sampling track... 'til I heard this one! As far as "Paper Planes" remixes are concerned, this one definitely steps up to the plate. (Yes, I'm biased). Rock City unapologetically shed some love for the O man. This Obama tribute list is getting pretty long by now...
Sadat X - Never
Nub' but never Newb, Sadat X kicks his nasally flow over a hard-knocking bap beat. Not sure what he's trying to accomplish with this one (it ain't too exciting).
Sadat X - This is Your Life
This track sounds so incredibly campy that it... it... it just might work. The old school appeal works well and this sample brings up some evocative lyricism from my favorite Brand Nubian (sorry Pub' and Jamar). Generation X is coming soon...
Scarface - Emeritus
'Face is back (like he left something). Is this a grimy '08 version of "My Block"? I ain't complaining... 'Face is focused -- and that's always a good thing! They say that Scarface's next album will also be his last. Pay close attention to what happens during the next two months...
Statik Selektah - On the Marquee (feat. Little Brother, Joe Scudda & Chaundon)
It's a N.C. family affair! Stat' drops an ill sample-heavy beat. I hope this instrumental makes its way around the webternets eventually...
T.I. - Whatever You Like (Remix feat. Trina & Foxy Brown)
Foxy's verse sounds choppy as hell -- seems like a cheap cut-and-paste job if you ask me... If you like the original -- I do -- then you might wanna give this remix a listen. If you don't you ain't missin' much.
Tek - Street Money
No!!!! Don't fall this shitty Ricky Rawls-style organ-rap schtick! This ain't "Hustlin'"! That was so '06. Jeez, Tek even slows down his vocals when he says "boss". What is he thinking!?
The Game - Through My Eyes Demo (feat. Mars)
JT goes for some "Shoot Me Down" kinda sh*t right here. Why wasn't there more of this raw stuff on your album? Oh, that's right... Interscope bullsh*t. (Why do they have to over-polish everything!?!?)
Tony Yayo - Come Out (feat. Prodigy)
Is this a joke? I'm not laughing.