Friday, September 19, 2008

The Tape Deck: Volume #3 (Reviews)

Twenty-four tracks! Enjoy:

Lupe Fiasco - Birds & The Bees (Prod. by Kanye West) [zShare link]
This one's been making its way around the web for a while, but I never got a chance to peep it 'til now. It's cool to hear Lupe on one of those repetitive-but-dope, vintage-Kanye/sped-up-sample tracks. Might have been nice if Kanye hopped on this one too (at least a hook).
Black Milk - Give the Drummer Sum [zShare link]
His first solo album, Popular Demand, was insane! I gave it a solid 4-star rating on rap.about.com when it dropped. Seems like his next album, Tronic, is gonna be just as good if this track is any indicator. Ya gotta give the drummer sum...
Web - Lonely Street [zShare link]
Deep lyricism and storytelling over a beautiful soul track. I can't quite decipher the sample (haven't been able to find it on Google), but I'd really like to find it eventually.
DJ K.O. - Nobody Like Me (feat. Edo G, Diamond D and Kaze) [zShare link]
OG's in the building! This joint is on heavy rotation at my place right now. Production on this one's beautiful and the emcees spit fluid darts. Highly recommended.
The Beatnuts - All My Life [zShare link]
Yes, yes y'all The Beatnuts are still kickin' it. This track's nothing special, but it's pretty fun and light and worth a listen.
Das EFX - Can U Feel It (Prod. by DJ Rondevu) [zShare link]
Riggidy raaaawww!!! Das EFX are still doing it! This track's got an amazing throwback appeal to it, aside from the fact that Dre and Skoob's voices seem worn by time. I'm not sure this is the track to say to the world "Das EFX is back!!!", but it's definitely a pleasant surprise. Definitely worth bumpin' for a few spins.
Scarface - High Powered (Lil Troy Diss) [zShare link]
The King (yes, the King) is mad. This prototypical Southern beat rests nicely beneath Face's gruff threats. Nothing too special lyrically though, at least nothing very new. Same ol' anti-snitchin' agenda. It's not '05 any more!
Alicia Keys - Another Way to Die (feat. Jack White) [zShare link]
This ish is serious! Gotta love those deadly piano strokes throughout the track. The guitar riffs are pretty heavy too. It's nice to hear two seemingly different artists like Alicia Keys and The White Stripes' Jack White on the same joint, but I'm kinda curious as to what Amy Winehouse coulda pumped out here (she was originally booked for this track). (P.S.: Is it just me or do the drums at 00:04/00:05 sound like the hits on 2Pac's "Keep Ya Head Up"?)
Big Shug - Like A Muhfucka (Prod. by DJ Premier) [zShare link]
Just another one of those hardcore East coast interlude tracks a la M.O.P. If this track ain't got your head bopping, fix your neck.
Big Shug - Murdapan [zShare link]
Not quite as promising as the previous track, "Murdapan" is still worth a listen. With MoSS on production, the track's got a few highlights: "I fell in love with a fat bitch/ Well, really, I was in love with that fat ass/". ;-D
DJ K.O. - Best To Do It (feat. Royce Da 5'9", Elzhi and Supastition) [zShare link]
Detroit to North Carolina back up to Detroit. This track definitely sounds like a blend between these two hip hop hotspots. It's made me realize that Michigan and North Carolina have produced similar music styles over the years, be it 9th Wonder or Black Milk, Elzhi or Phonte, T3 or Big Pooh. Do you agree?
T.I. - Dead and Gone (feat. Justin Timberlake) [zShare link]
I guess they decided to double up on the success of "My Love". Well, "Dead and Gone" certainly won't be as big of a hit as that one, but it'll satisfy those same fans. After the train wreck that was T.I.'s last album, Tip's gotta step it up this time around. On "Dead and Gone", Tip gets personal as JT's emotive and fitting hook rests comfortably along Timbo-like production. So far so good...
Consequence - There Can Only Be One [zShare link]
I could be completely buggin' out, but when I focus away from the sample and only on the drums I hear the beat from Kanye's "Can't Tell Me Nothing". Am I tripping? I don't think so... As usual, Cons is sayin' lots of sh*t that sounds interesting, but his flow and voice are just too mellow to latch me on to the track. Keep pushin' 'quence!
John Legend - It's Over (feat. Kanye West) [zShare link]
As soon as I popped this track on, I reminded myself of 2004 -- a great year for music, hip hop especially. That year was filled with some big hits, including John Legend's "Used to Love U" from his debut album Get Lifted. My favorite song on that album was "Number One" featuring Kanye West. I loved that track because it sampled one of my favorite R&B cuts, the Staple Singers' "Let's Do It Again", produced by Curtis Mayfield. The track was as soulful and earnest as it was hilarious ("You can't say I don't love you/ Just because I cheat on you/"). It was Kanye who put it over the top though, with his excellent wordplay: ("[My penis] got a mind of his own and he just be seeing shit/ And I don't wanna cheat but I don't be saying shit/ I try to jack off he ask me who is you playin' wit?/ But I know he love you he told me you was his favorite/"). Fast forward back to September 2008. I'm over halfway into the track, waiting to hear Kanye start his verse; and what do I find? Kanye and his shitty vocoder with his shitty rap/song style he's developed recently. All I can say is that I'm deeply disappointed in 'Ye. I was watching Season Two of Chappelle's Show the other day (yes, I went on a marathon) and was reminded of the great times I had enjoying Yeezy's music back in 2004. Ah, how things have changed... for the worse. This track's title speaks on how I feel about a dead era: "It's Over".
The Alchemist - Lose Your Life (feat. Jadakiss, Snoop Dogg & Pusha T) [zShare link]
ALC comes through once again with his tailored, gritty style. This is gangsta music for every corner of the map. This isn't the first time Kiss and Snoop have spit on the same track (re:"Shine"), and I wouldn't mind hearing more of these collabs. "Smooth" and "raspy" go together like bread and butter.
Termanology - Hood Shit (Prod. by The Alchemist) (feat. Prodigy) [zShare link]
More ALC! Term' never seems to disappoint. His star is definitely shining bright. I wish him nothing but success on his new album.
Sandman - Make It Clear (feat. Kurupt, Roscoe, Tristar & Dundidit) [zShare link]
I always make sure to check out any and every new track that Kurupt puts his vocals on. This time around, he sounds like he's got a cold. No joke! Pretty good track nonetheless. Nothing special though.
USDA - Black Dreams (feat. Trick Daddy) [zShare link]
Last I checked, USDA went toothpick on their debut album. Seems like Jeezy ain't enough to put 'em over the top. Trick Daddy can't do it either...
T.I. - Let My Beat Pound [zShare link]
Yo! This is like Afrika Bambaataa for the 2008 hipsters; J.R. Rotem on production if I'm not mistaken. I have a feeling that this one's gonna grow on me...
John Legend - Green Light (Diplo Dade County 1988 Mix feat. Andre 3000) [zShare link]
Back-to-back '80's themed tracks! Diplo always comes correct with his remixes, and this one's no exception. High-paced and full of energy, this one's definitely worth a listen.
Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line (Remix feat. Snoop Dogg) [zShare link]
This shit is the truth. I'm not a fan of country music at all; I'm not too familiar with Johnny Cash's catalog -- "I Walk the Line" being one of the few tracks I know of -- but I'm completely taken in by this remix. The beat is sinister, Snoop sounds focused, and Cash's reverbed vocals are eerie and gripping. Recommended!
Robin Thicke - Magic (Mark Ronson Remix feat. Wale & Mary J. Blige) [zShare link]
Gotta give it up to Mark Ronson and his production team! He makes magic happen... Truth be told, I'm enjoying the R&B (Robin & Blige) element of the track more than Wale's contribution. Great track nonetheless. Solid four stars!
Tom Gist - Swagger Like Us (feat. AC, Mike Bully & Luguz) [zShare link]
I only gave this one a try because of HHIR-fam AC's feature; dude doesn't disappoint! Homie boosts Obama and bashes McCain, Palin, and Bush as he spits: "Can't tell political jokes when the president's one/". Damn!
ATM - Swagger Like Us (feat. Mickey Factz) (ATM Remix) [zShare link]
Eh.