Monday, January 21, 2008

Still Dreamin'



Back in early '07, I mixed the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I Have a Dream' speech with the instrumentals to Common's landmark album, BE. It was posted up on The Rap Up, but since then the zShare-hosted file has expired. I'm guessin' most of y'all never heard it, so I re-upped it on zShare as well as DivSh@re. I hope you enjoy the mix, but first and foremost: please make sure to understand why Dr. King was and still is so important...

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - I Have A Dream (Hurricane Ivan's 'BE Mix')



Here's a 2007 interview between Tavis Smiley and Prof. Cornel West in which they discuss, among many other topics, the prominence of King's true legacy. Professor Cornel West gets it right on the money when he discusses the evident "Santa Claus-ification" of Dr. King. Lest we forget, Dr. King was more of a radical than the mainstream gives him credit for. Dr. King called for drastic social reforms which have yet to be enacted in our society. The Dream lives on... Anyways, enjoy this enlightening discussion and hit me back with any feedback or feelings:



1