Monday, November 12, 2007

The Wake Up Show: RZA


RZA dropped in to discuss American Gangster, 8 Diagrams (plus some world premieres !!!!!!), and the many eccentricities that revolve around planet Wu.

Listen:


[zShare link] ~:|:~ [Rapidshare link]



World Famous Wake Up Show

Classic RZA moments/facts of the night [Part I]
:

"...first it was me and Ghost..."
"...36 Chambers was basically made for $36,000 yo..."
"...[36 Chambers] changed Hip-Hop history..."
"...your crew gotta trust you..."
"...sometimes, I may be on one page, and the crew can be on a whole different page. I want the people to see where my heart is at..."
"...Wussell Cwowe..."
^ hilarious ^
"...it should be clean enough..."
^ LMAO ^
...he was proven wrong very quickly...
...B's & N's abound...lmao...


Classic RZA moments/facts of the night [Part II]:
Tech: Who's doper: Pete Rock, Large Professor, Dr. Dre or Premo on the SP or the MPC?
RZA: ...I think Premo been the master of those machines right there, y'knah'mean?
Tech: The Iraq War: Was it a good thing or a bad thing? What the hell's gonna happen?
RZA: That was a bad thing, yo. Y'knah'mean? It's a bad thing, first of all, because you've got people over there being oppressed y'knah'mean? People over there going through struggles. People from over here going over there dying. Young people, y'knah'mean? The people that could be doctors, ministers, nurses and scientists are over there being shot, killed, at 2, 5, 10 a day some time. The murder rate is like... It's like the worst ghetto in the world is in Iraq right there, and that's the Holy Land right there.
Tech: Who has a better booty? J.Lo or Beyonce?
RZA: BEYONCE!!!
Tech: Who is the better actor: Russell Crowe or Denzel?
RZA: Ooh, that's a tough one right there. I'll just say two masters, man, they're two masters at their craft.
Tech: Ya gotta say one, that's what I'm sayin'...
RZA: Ay! Ay! Bong bong, baga doggle doggle woggle!
[Ivan: WTF!?!?!?!?]
???: Why do Mexicans love you so much? What car in L.A. with a Mexican doesn't have a Wu-Tang bumper sticker?
RZA: I think there's love both ways. We love them too, yo! The Mexicans [are] our peoples yo, it's our brothers. It's just the white man got us twisted over here thinking we're all enemies. We're brothers
Tech: Who you thought was the better emcee for real when you first heard him: Ghostface of Method Man?
RZA: I'd say in the beginning, I'd say I thought Method Man was iller, because Method Man had his flow and everything mastered, and Ghostface developed into one of the illest. I think now Ghostface is probably the illest, y'nah'mean? But, I think Method Man may have started as the illest, but Ghostface developed into an iller emcee.
Tech: Where is Hip-Hop better in? America or Europe?
RZA: Aw man... Well, Hip-Hop is better America yo. I'm glad that Europeans appreciate Hip-Hop alot, and they show us a lot of love. But Hip-Hop was created right here. I just heard Crooked I ripping it, y'nah'mean? Y'ain't gon' find that in Europe, son. Y'nah'mean? So, Hip-Hop is appreciated very strongly in Europe, but Hip-Hop is better here because this is the foundation of it, it's where it's created at.
Tech: Do you think Barack Obama has a chance?
RZA: Man, that'd be... Y'know what? He got a chance though. Y'nah'mean? It's America, the land of dreamds, y'nah'mean? But I don't see how... I ain't gon' say nothin' politic... But good luck to him though, it's a big thing for him to step out there, y'nah'mean, and represent the people like that.
Tech: In the U.S., which state gave Wu-Tang the most love?
RZA: That's a cross between California and New York, though, I think. The two terminals of Hip-Hop.
Tech: Best Hip-Hop movie or documentary?
RZA: To me, my favorite Hip-Hop movie... There's two of them... I'ma say Wild Style because of the authentic vintage-ness of it. But Beat Street, to me, was a movie that was produced, put money into it, y'nah'mean? I think Beat Street is one of the best Hip-Hop movies made.
Tech: Best B-Boy in the world that you've seen?
RZA: Recently, I seen the Koreans goin' crazy. Right now, there's a Korean break-dance team, and, y'nah'mean, they could come to the Bronx and tear you down. (Laughter)
Tech: Worst holiday that's celebrated?... Meaning, the holiday that's celebrated, but it's totally false, profit, that goes with it.
RZA: I mean, you got a couple of them. I wanna say Christmas. Because Christmas is the spirit of giving. But Jesus wasn't born on Christmas, homie. Y'nah'mean? So that's a holiday we celebrate under false pretenses. But one of the worst holidays I think we celebrate is Halloween, which is witch's eve. You gon' celebrate witches and warlocks and demons and cats. Have your kids dressed up with vampire teeth and blood. Y'nah'mean? That's pretty strange... [???: I'm voting for Thanksgiving, personally]... Oh Indians and... Yeah, thanks for taking everybody and giving you a turkey. Hey turkey!
Tech: Is this album the best Wu-Tang album? The new one...
RZA: I won't say it's the best, y'nah'mean? But I say that it's on time, y'nah'mean? For the timing that we're going through in this world, yo, it's good to hear Wu-Tang and hear the vibe that we in... I hate to say it like this, because I don't wanna take the credit... But even the vibe that I'm in. I think the vibe that the RZA is in is a good, healthy vibe for Hip-Hop and healthy for America.
Tech: One group or emcee that you were scared to go after? One cat that you were like "Damn, we on after them?"
RZA: Aw man, that's a hard one... I'd say in the early days of Hip-Hop, nobody could get on after KRS-One. I don't think until after Wu-Tang Clan came out that that was possible to get after KRS-One. I think after Wu-Tang came out, y'nah'mean, no, I think it's harder to get after us. Y'nah'mean?... KRS-One will tear you down.
Tech: Best female emcee of all time?
RZA: I'm'a pass it over to MC Lyte, y'nah'mean? I think she really did vintage work for Hip-Hop. She was one of the first female emcees that made it be cool to be tough. Everybody else gotta find their identity in between MC Lyte and Foxy.
Tech: If you knew you were gonna die, and you could have one religious book in your arm, going down, which book would you have on your arm, man?
RZA: Man, none of us wanna die or think about death, y'nah'mean? But I'm'a hold on to the Holy Qur'an... Well, we're gonna talk about books, lemme give 'em a couple of books: Go get you a Holy Bible. Get you a Holy Qur'an. Get you a Bhagavad Gita. And um, also get you a copy of the Heart Sutra. On the new Wu-Tang album, 8 Diagrams, I put the original text of the Heart Sutra spoken in Mandarin, Cantonese, right on the album, 'cause they say you should hear this Heart Sutra at least once in your life because it frees your spirit... Makes a lot of sense for today's mind.
Tech: The best soul male singer of all time: Sam Cooke, James Brown, Barry White or Marvin Gaye?
RZA: Ooh, that's a tough one right there. I'm'a go with Ol' Dirty's choice: Marvin Gaye. That's Ol' Dirty's choice.
Tech: Last one, man: Bruce Lee or Jet Li?
RZA: Bruce Lee, man, you know that! Jet Li is nice, man, but Bruce Lee was not only a master martial artists, he was a master man. Y'nah'mean? He mastered himself. He mastered psychology, philosophy, y'nah'mean? He was also a great actor. Y'know, you watch a lot of kung fu guys that make movies, they can't act. Bruce Lee was a unique individual... We have major prophets and we have minor prophets. He'd be a minor prophet. A prophet that existed and spread knowledge to many people, but not inside the Holy Books. I think Bruce Lee was like a modern-day prophet, yo, for real.


Classic RZA moments/facts of the night [Part III: American Gangster]:
Tech: Talking about acting: Do you feel like you've gotten better since,,, Derailed, but American Gangster was a real deal part. They even showed the tat... in the movie.
RZA: Oh yeah, that was something funny, 'cause the director, Ridley Scott, I was like: "Yo, I've got this tattoo, do you think I could wear it?" He looked at it and was like: "Yeah, they gon' think it always existed. Don't worry about it." Y'nah'mean? He wanted to show that Wu-Tang, even though it's of our generation, WU-TANG IS FOREVER. It's no beginning or ending to it.

There it is man!

"...if it got curses, we're going straight into commercials RZA..."
^ LOL ^



P.S. Forgive me for typos... Sh*t took me forever to type up...

I

[+/-] show/hide this post